Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Squirrel

There is a particularly large squirrel that lives around the playground, no doubt fattened up on fallen cheerios and goldfish crumbs. It has lost all fear of humans, and it approaches us if it sees we are eating a snack. Today it was no exception, and I had to actually scare it off as I was afraid it would nibble on our fingers if we were to take our eyes off it. I have never fed it, but nonetheless the little creature was hopeful that it would get something. After it finally left, Amalia commented on how big its belly was: "That's a fat squirrel mama, just like you!"

Yesterday I marveled again on how much she has come along in the last couple of months. We attended a pot-luck lunch at daddy's work, and Amalia was the only kid there. After a few minutes of awkwardness, Amalia started feeling at ease, and by the end, while I was sitting down eating some food, she was standing among a small group, with a paper cup in hand, looking up and chatting away. My heart really warmed up at the sight, she appeared so grown up all of a sudden, and I could almost envision the future. I just hope she was not letting people know they looked like squirrels.

It has been four months since I have been officially not working, and I am really sitting on the fence about returning to a full-time job soon.

1 comment:

  1. Kids sure do say the darndest things! Thanks for stopping by my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete