Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Winter Wonderland


Saying the mornings have been crisp is an understatement. We have had a string of beautiful sunny days, the temperature not raising above freezing, allowing us to have a wonderful time playing outside. The light is amazing, the colors vivid, as they can only be in Winter. I don't mind the cold, we can bundle up, but the opportunity to be out and about is priceless. From my desk I see the snow-covered Olympic mountains, and so, life is sweet.

I am watching the behavior of a three-year old girl evolving on a daily basis, and one thing that I learned is that she is indeed a small but powerful sponge, absorbing not only the good but also the bad examples she witness. A few days ago Amalia insisted on putting on make-up, ending up with one purple eye and a gray glittering cheek. I had a hard time convincing her to clean her face at the end, and as I was wiping her with a damp cloth, she covered her eyes with her hands and said: "not my make up". After all Mama does not wipe her face when she is done so why should she? At the end all was well, the make-up was removed, and we left the house with a fresh faced little girl, just the faintest traces of shimmer sparkling in the afternoon sun. There is probably nothing that can so strongly prompt introspection as watching yourself reflected on your offspring.

I noticed a streak of Picasso on the snowman Amalia brought home from preschool today; We always hope for the best in our kids, so it is not that she cannot correctly represent a snowman, but that she chose to take artistic license while doing it.


Christmas napkins were made yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. love your description of your 3 year old. I have one too, she is also a powerful sponge, learning, learning soaking it all in. Life is sweet. Oh to have their energy!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog :) hope you will be back by soon.

    Shona

    ReplyDelete